Not everyone is comfortable discussing their mental health challenges face to face, particularly early in a therapeutic relationship. Others feel that they can be more authentic with the safety of a phone call, and aren’t even comfortable with the therapist seeing their body language and expressions (despite those being useful for the therapist as additional cues).
In a nutshell the reasons people prefer Phone / Skype or Hangout therapy are:
- The safety of anonymity (relatively speaking)
- Convenience: no need to travel to the Therapist’s location
- Possibility of an impromptu session (when they have a crisis and need support, a quick phone or Skype session can be useful)
- More willingness of therapists to do shorter sessions
- Ability for them to feel comfortable in their own surroundings rather than a therapist’s office.